Staff Engineer, Research
The Staff Engineer, Research executes a variety of specialized, technical research and development activities. Such activities may include data analysis, model development and other related technical activities, developing general R&D software tools to increase company capabilities, and documenting work in appropriate company and customer reports. May assist in training and providing guidance to less experienced staff members. This position may also contribute to business development activities under the supervision of the project leads and is capable of interfacing with customers with support from the project team. Reports to a Principal Research Engineer.
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs moderate design and analysis tasks in the areas of vehicle modeling, guidance, navigation and control, flight test, and related fields with an emphasis on development and implementation of innovative solutions.
- Supports the design and implementation of Matlab/C/C++ based tools and displays in the areas of flight test, vehicle assessment, aircraft/eVTOL certification, autonomous operations, and other needs as assigned.
- Address customer specifications/requirements in work assignments.
- Performs research and analyses as directed by project leads.
- Applies standard techniques, procedures, and criteria to perform assigned tasks as part of a broader assignment.
- Prepares portions of project documents.
- Maintains a high commitment to quality, thoroughness, and efficiency in all work aspects.
- Performs tasks within schedule with consistency, accuracy, and attention to detail.
- Receives close supervision on unusual or difficult problems, and general review of all aspects of work.
- Collaboratively uses judgement to determine adaptations in methods for nonroutine aspects of assignments.
- Assists in providing on-the-job training as required for new and existing employees.
- Maintains project files and appropriate records of work, compliant with company and aerospace industry standards, practices, and regulations.
- Meets all Company timelines processes, trainings, and initiatives.
- Observes and follows all quality, environmental, health and safety procedures.
- Complies with all other policies and procedures.
- Participates in Company sponsored events.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Internal and External Interactions:
|Internal Contacts||External Contacts|
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & SKILLS:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering with 2-3 years of experience, or a Master of Science Degree in Electrical, Mechanical, or Aerospace Engineering, Applied Mathematics or equivalent field.
- Able to synthesize complex data and develop innovative recommendations.
- Strong skills with MATLAB/Simulink, Python, or equivalent. Working knowledge of C/C++, a plus.
- Experience in UAS or aerospace industry desired, but not required.
- Prioritization, time management, relationship building, and attention to detail.
- Detail-oriented with strong, written, verbal, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- Ability to adapt, be flexible, and multi-task.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment and discretion.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Demonstrated eagerness to learn new technical skills.
- Demonstrated integrity, accountability, and professionalism.
- Enjoys working as a part of a high-performing team in an entrepreneurial environment but can follow standardized processes; offers suggestions for improvement.
- Can work confidently with diverse personalities and various levels of management.
- Highly self-motivated and excellent problem-solving and creative skills.
To conform to U.S. Government aerospace technology export regulations (ITAR and EAR), applicant must be a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident. Therefore, candidates will need to qualify as a US Person which is defined as a US Citizen, a Permanent Resident who does not work for a foreign company/foreign government/foreign governmental agency or organization, or a political asylee in compliance with International Traffic in Arms Regulations and DOD requirements.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit, talk or hear and reach with hands and arms. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision. Moderate noise (i.e.: computers, printers, traffic) exists daily in the work environment. Potential exposure to extreme temperatures, heat, noise, etc. while visiting client facilities. Ability to lift and carry up to 50lbs. Domestic travel required up to 10-20%.
Please send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org