Systems analysis and control system design work for telescope and other astronomical systems.
Systems Technology provides engineering consulting services in the conceptual and preliminary design phase of a project. We participate in design reviews, do validation work for initial operations, and perform systems identification and analysis for upgrade projects. We can work on-site at project locations. Systems Technology has worked on Keck, TMT, and CCAT telescopes and on a JPL optical communication system.
Astronomical Control System Capabilities
- Mathematical modeling of mechanical structures and the validation of these models
- Control system design for pointing and tracking, vibration rejection, and shape control systems
- Actuator design and testing for optical systems
- Development of requirements and requirements validation
- Thompson, P.M., D.G. MacMynowski, M.W. Regehr, M.M. Colavita, M.J. Sirota (2010) Servo design and analysis for the Thirty Meter Telescope primary mirror actuator, SPIE, San Diego.
- Thompson, P. M., MacMynowski, D. G., & Sirota, M. J. (2008). Analysis of the TMT Mount Control System. SPIE, Marseille, France.
- MacMynowski, D. G., Thompson, P. M., Ph.D., & Sirota, M. J. (2008). Analysis of TMT Primary Mirror Control-Structure Interaction. SPIE, Marseille, France
- Thompson, P. M., MacMynowski, D. G., & Sirota, M. J. (2008). Control Analysis of the TMT Primary Segment Assembly. SPIE, Marseille, France.
- Sirota, M.J., P.M. Thompson, and H.R. Jex, (1994) Azimuth / Elevation Servo Performance of the W. M. Keck Telescope,” SPIE Kona, Hawaii.
- Sirota, M.J., P.M. Thompson (1988) Azimuth / Elevation Servo Design of the W. M. Keck Telescope, SPIE Vol. 887.