Business Development Sales Engineer, Engineering Services
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN FILLED
This individual must be a self-starter that is well-versed in creating new business to business (B2B) opportunities and leads by also maintaining and developing long-term relationships. This business development lead will be able to multi-task and manage multiple opportunities while driving sales for the company. This role will identify consulting opportunities for engineering services that lead to contracts. Further, this role will support the transition of company intellectual properties developed through government funded efforts to the DoD directly or via prime contractors. Must maintain profitable sales growth through a tenacious work ethic and ability to adapt and listen to the client’s needs.
People-focused technical sales professional who builds new relationships within existing (i.e., traditional aerospace and defense) and new markets that include advanced air mobility (i.e., urban air taxis, regional services, personal air vehicles, and unmanned aerial vehicles) for STI engineering services. Collaborates with and provides technical direction and business feedback to the engineering team who will assess the scope of work and support preparation of proposals.
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Business Development Strategy-50%
- Establishes new accounts and services within current markets and identifies potential clients capitalizing on emerging trends to maximize profit.
- Markets and sells expert consulting services or technical and engineering labor offsets by identifying customer needs through targeted questions, listening to the voice of the customer.
- Gains client acceptance by explaining the value of STI’s services and offers training courses to develop client’s staff.
- Develops professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, and participating in professional societies.
- Contributes to sales engineering effectiveness by identifying short-term and long-range issues that must be addressed, recommending options and courses of action, and implementing directives.
- Monitors target websites for bid opportunities to assist the Company in identifying and developing new opportunities for new consulting opportunities and/or productization.
- Achieves annual revenue targets, margin, client retention, and backlog to meet department goals.
- Identifies the competitive landscape and trends, market pricing, engineering services roadmap ideas, new markets, and overall future strategy for the organization.
- Accurately forecasts opportunities that create a reliable bookings and revenue business plan.
- Participates in all new commercial consulting initiatives, productization opportunities, and market research to make informed decisions that lead to sustained revenue growth.
- Partners with Marketing to integrate the strategies into overall marketing and branding initiatives.
Client Relationships and Client Value – 25%
- Identifies and builds relationships with key decision-makers in commercial aerospace and defense markets including markets targeted as growth areas such as advanced air mobility.
- Serves clients by identifying their needs and engineering adaptations of STI’s products, tools, and services.
- Identifies current and future client consulting requirements by establishing personal rapport with potential and actual clients and others in a position to understand consulting requirements.
- Identifies industry decision makers and develops and maintains personal relationships with key industry and thought leaders.
- Maintains effective communication over video conferencing, phone, email, and social media to identify, develop, and close business opportunities.
- Identifies lessons learned from closed deals and failed opportunities.
- Coordinates internal/external customer communication (verbal & written) to ensure customer satisfaction and profitability.
- Handles client complaints and identifies new pathways to develop a mutually satisfactory outcome.
Sales Operations & Process – 25%
- Creates and responds to client leads and gathers additional details to properly address opportunities until a proposal is submitted.
- Prepares and submits cost estimates and proposals by identifying client needs, consulting with senior engineering team members and business office personnel.
- Uses CRM (Salesforce) to prepare reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing sales information and engineering and application trends.
- Determines improvements by analyzing cost-benefit ratios of consulting services, soliciting feedback from clients, and proposing changes in processes or services.
- Works with clients and senior technical team to develop work statements that match client’s identified level of effort.
- Tracks and updates business opportunities with a live and accurate picture of the sales pipeline and backlog of orders in Salesforce. Entries will include account, contact, opportunity, quote, attachments/letters, purchase orders/contracts, sales orders, and deliverables. Forecasts the scope of work, timing, and probability to close.
- Creates key business reports, as requested by the executive management team, related to new business leads, pipeline progression, bookings, open orders, deliverables, revenue, and accounts payable.
- Submits proposals to clients in a timely, expeditious manner ensuring the proposal is profitable and meets/exceeds the client’s expectations.
- Conducts a kickoff meeting with the client for all new orders to ensure the scope of work is clear, timing is agreed upon, risks are mitigated, and expectations are managed appropriately.
- Effectively leads the internal handoff meeting with the project leads to ensure the scope, delivery, and special instructions are clearly established and understood by all members of the team to setup a successful project.
- Leads all sales and supports marketing efforts for targeted industry tradeshows, conferences, and actual projects.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the executive management team.
Education, Experience and Skills
- BS degree in engineering (aerospace, mechanical, or electrical), relevant field, or equivalent military background. MBA preferred.
- Minimum 5 years of industry B2B technical sales experience.
- Professional sales training program experience (Sandler, AMA, Challenger, etc)
- Experience in Salesforce, data entry, email/document tracking, updating pipeline stage gates, and archiving sales activities and history
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Programs to create quotes, presentations, & targeted business quotes and marketing brochures efficiently
- Excellent communication, listening, and questioning skills over the phone/email/in person
- Prioritization, time management, relationship building, and organizational skills a must
- Ability to work from HQ and remotely with a strong competence in remote communication platforms (Teams, Skype, Zoom, Etc.)
- US citizenship, required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit, talk or hear and reach with hands and arms. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision. Moderate noise (i.e.: computer printers, traffic) exists daily in the work environment. Potential exposure to extreme temperatures, heat, noise, etc. while in the visiting client facilities. Ability to lift and carry up to 50lbs. Domestic travel required up to 40%.
Please send resume to email@example.com